Scorpions, toxic waste, and exploding gum. These are the 15 most dangerous candies that were banned. Number 15 is Poisoned halloween Candy. This Halloween candy turned out to be more trick than treat. An eleven year old boy was was out enjoying some spooky fun one evening when things took a deadly turn.
Some of the candy he had been given contained poison. A few hours later, he was found dead in his room. Other kids that evening found sharp blades buried amongst their candies. If I were you, I would double check the candies before tucking in next year. Number 14 is Kinder Surprise Eggs.
This candy is so dangerous, it’s been banned in the United States since 1938. Isn’t that crazy? This may be surprising to any viewers in Europe where this candy is perfectly legal. Kids there can buy them in almost every shop. Kinder Surprise Eggs come with toys inside the chocolate, which caused a lot of problems.
So many kids ended up choking on the toys that the government outlawed the sweets. Number 13 is Lollipes. This candy has to go down in history for one of the most dangerous things to give children. This was a crazy idea. Lollipops were designed to look like kids were smoking illegal drugs like marijuana, through bongs to get the candy.
They had to use the bong to get candy high. Obviously, the government stepped in pretty quickly and said they were way too dangerous to give the kids. Number twelve is Roadkill Gummy Bears. These candies are kind of gross and sad. They were designed to look like squirrels, snakes, and other animals that had been killed by cars and left on the road to die.
That doesn’t sound like something nice to eat, right? I mean, the candy even had Roadmarks all over them. These gummy candy bears were then banned because animal rights groups said they were too dangerous. Apparently, they were encouraging people to deliberately kill animals on the road. Number eleven is Candy cigarettes.
This definitely would not be allowed today. It is crazy that candy companies made them in the first place. This candy was mega dangerous and for obvious reasons, it was shaped like a cigarette and looked almost identical to the real thing. Kids all around the world pretended like they were smoking when eating this candy. It’s safe to say this was quickly banned for promoting this bad habit in children.
Number ten is Hippie Sippy. I’m amazed this candy ever made it to the shelves of grocery stores. Hippie sippy was made of different colored chocolate balls. That doesn’t sound too dangerous, right? The problem was to eat the balls, you had to suck them out through a syringe.
Eating the candies was meant to be like using drugs with a needle. So of course, the government quickly banned hippy sippy because it might later encourage children to try illegal drugs. I mean, who came up with this idea? It’s terrible for children. Number nine is Chinese candy.
Machine. This candy has a bit of a crazy backstory. Shops around China started selling medicines for depression, infections, and even broken hearts. But when scientists took a closer look, they discovered that this medicine wasn’t very effective. Can you guess why?
Because it’s all just candy. The government quickly banned the sale of this candy medicine, saying it was dangerous for people with real illnesses to not get proper treatment. At least it tasted good, right? Number eight is Smarties. This one is really going to surprise you.
I thought smarties were pretty safe candies that kids and adults enjoyed all over the world. But, yeah, I was wrong. Kids in the United States started burning smarties and smoking them to get high off the chemicals they contain. Isn’t that insane? The candies were then banned from most grocery stores around the country.
To stop kids taking part in this dangerous trend, they ruined it for everybody. Number seven is Lucas Mexican candy. This candy got out of hand really fast. Luca’s Mexican candy contained a tasty lollipop and sugary powder, which you could dip into and eat. But this candy soon turned really dangerous.
Kids began pouring the powder onto tables and trying to sniff it to get a sugar high. Horrified, the government banned the candy because of the damage this trend was doing the kids brains. They also said the trend was too similar to using illegal drugs, such as heroin. That’s not good. Number six is free candy.
The best kind of candy is free candy, right? Well, not in Spain. The country has actually banned any kind of free candy because of some tragic deadly accidents. During the popular Christmas parades that happened all over Spain, three wise men throw free candy to the children in the crowds. But in 2013, this fun festive parade turned deadly.
A 16 year old boy was killed going onto the road to grab some of his free candy. To stop such a tragedy happening again, the government has banned giving away candy for free. Number five is scorpion lollipops. I’m not surprised at all that this candy was banned around the world. I mean, people would be crazy if they ate this.
This candy looks like a normal lollipop, but with a deadly twist. Manufacturers put scorpions right in the middle, often while they were still alive. Yikes. People then licked the lollipop and enjoyed it until they got to the crunchier center. Governments around the world started banning this gruesome treat because of the health risks it posed to the candy maker and the candy eater.
Number four is tamarind lollipops. This candy came with an absolutely deadly twist. Tamarind lollipops were made in Mexico and imported into the United States. Kids absolutely loved them. But doctors started to notice something strange when children became very unwell.
Their symptoms looked like serious lead poisoning, which can often be fatal. Then they made a startling discovery that deadly lead was coming from the lollipops. Scientists found so much lead in the candy that two or three lollipops could cause immediate harm. Yeah, maybe I should stick to fruit next time I want a snack. Number three is horrible.
Sugar free gummy bears. This one sounds kind of funny until you realize just how dangerous these candies were. I mean, who would have thought these cute little gummy bears could put you in the hospital? These sugar free bears contained a chemical called Lycosin instead of sugar. It turns out this chemical is also used in laxatives.
Oh, man. Sick to say, millions of people around the world had really bad toilet problems after eating these little guys. Some people even had to be hospitalized, all from gummy bears. Come on. Number two is exploding chewing gum.
This story sounds so insane, I almost didn’t believe it. A 25 year old chemistry student called Vladimir was chewing gum one day in his room. Neighbors then heard a loud bang and went to see what was wrong. They found Vladimir dead and discovered his gum had exploded, blowing his face off. It had been laced with explosives, which blew up once he started chewing.
It caused so much fear. In Ukraine, shops stopped selling gum completely for safety. Number one is toxic waste nuclear sludge bars. This is definitely the most dangerous candy ever made. You would think toxic waste nuclear sludge bars weren’t actually toxic.
It’s probably just a silly name, right? It was actually definitely dangerous. The government discovered that this candy was full of way more than just sugar. It contained so much lead in one sweet that it could kill anyone that ate it in only a few bites. This candy was quickly banned and removed from shelves.