Teen Crushed by Forklift Chooses to Have Half His Body Amputated So He Can Live

As per reports, 19 yearold Lorraine Showers of Great Falls, Montana was in the process of driving a forklift truck across a bridge when it fell and plummeted 50ft to the ground.

The teenager was left trapped under the fourtonne vehicle. Loren, conscious the entire time, watched as his right arm was crushed and the bottom half of his body was pinned down by the truck.

As a result of his injuries, the 19 year old was left with a heartbreaking decision have the lower half of his body amputated or face certain death. His girlfriend Sabia said goodbye to Lorenz six times while he was in hospital. Doctors repeatedly told her he wouldn’t live another day, and yet he somehow managed to pull through. The pair, who had been together for 18 months at the time of the accident, got engaged to each other earlier this year.

It wasn’t a hard choice to have half of my body amputated. It was basically a choice of living or dying, Lorraine explained. With Sabi assuring to stay by my side no matter what and all my immediate family being around me, it really wasn’t a hard choice for me.

His accident took place back in September 2019, when Lauren was forced to drive along the edge of a bridge to accommodate passing cars. The structure, however, crumbled beneath him, and though he tried to leap free at the truck, his leg got tangled in his seatbelt.

The vehicle rolled three times before landing on top of him, causing extensive injuries.

Doctors tried to save his lower extremities, including his right hip, genitalia and left thigh, but his pelvis was simply too crushed.

They were also unable to save his sperm, girlfriend Sabia explained. There were many heartfelt, teary, sad conversations within the span of the first month of him being in hospital.

The first time we said goodbye was before his surgery, but he still had his incubator and so he was writing to us as he couldn’t talk. The night before his surgery, he wrote, I love you on a piece of paper as it could have been our last night together. I still have that piece of paper today. The doctors would say he was going to die. We’d have a goodbye conversation and then he wouldn’t die.

It sucked. To put it blatantly, we hated it.

His health was teasing us like AHA, we’re fine now, but going to die soon so you’ll all be sad. But then he lived. The road to Recovery Needless to say, Loren faced a recovery process of epic proportions. Despite it all, though, he retained his will to pull through and defied doctor’s expectations.

Initially, they had said he would be in hospital for at least 18 months.

But he was out after three, including four weeks in rehab of his battles. Lorenz said my best advice to anyone going through something like this is that you can’t focus on the things you can’t have and you must live your life to the fullest with what you do have. What a truly inspirational young man.

I can only imagine how such a life altering accident must impact upon someone. And in this respect.

Lauren has proven himself to be brave.